Indigo Dreaming

The journeys of the Narrowboat Indigo Dream

  • Blog Index as a pull down

  • Recent Posts

  • Meta

  • Recent Comments

  • wordpress counter

A night at the Royal Docks

Posted by indigodream on 21 January, 2009

Saturday 17th January

With our cruise back to Limehouse due to take place at an unearthly time on Monday morning we thought we’d spend some time on the boat soaking up the ambience of the Royal Docks, visiting the boatshow and generally pottering around.

Night scene at the Royal Dock

Night scene at the Royal Dock

We arrived at the boat mid-afternoon, just in time to welcome Adam and Adrian from Debdale. We haven’t had the chance to invite any of our blogging friends (if I can presume) onto the boat before. I was a little nervous looking around Indigo Dream’s grubby interior – Adam’s used to so much better when he gets to review lovely new craft for Canalboat magazine. I needn’t have worried – they were tactful and charming guests and a bottle of wine and canal chit-chat soon took care of a couple of hours.

It was such a thrill to meet them – especially Adrian who calls himself the ‘silent partner’ on Debdale’s blog. I was delighted to find that he’s far from silent in person! In his blog Adam is typically modest when he says he met Lou. It just doesn’t to justice to the event – it was love at first sight; well, on Lou’s side at least. She absolutely idolized Adam and he spent the entire visit tickling her tummy and stroking her ears while she lay next to him on the sofa, rested her head in his lap and looked up at him adoringly. We will publish the photos but they are on the camera we forgot to bring home with us!. Blue typically treated everyone with disdain!

As you’re aware. blogs come in various different shapes and sizes – Debdale’s is beautifully contained while ours is luxiuriously lengthy. Small wonder – I found out that in his non-blogging life, Adam writes professional articles averaging 90 words; in the meantime, the last training pack that I wrote came in at 60,000!

Adam and Adrian’s visit was definitely the highlight of the day. Soon after they left we found that we’d left the dongle at home and without it we didn’t have an internet connection – disaster! I volunteered to go home and fetch it – I had an amazingly effective trip home with all train connections working beautifully. Even so, I’d lost the shine off my usually sunny outlook by the time I got back. In the meantime, Richard’s task was to wear the dogs out on a long walk – they needed to run off the stress of yet another trip up on public transport.  I think I got the bargain here as it was pretty cold and gusty around the docks.

With our respective missions accomplished we set off to explore the restaurants scattered around Excel. We weren’t naive enough to think they’d be cheap but we we were surprised by the general lack of quality. The pub looked promising but the live band was deafening so we tried the nearby Italian restaurant – Zero Sette (70). Everywhere was packed with staff from the boatshow which may explain why we had a miserable meal – the service was chaotically slow, inefficient and we’ve never been to a restaurant before that managed to make a mess of garlic bread! The first portion was cold, we sent it back, their next attempt was luke-warm but they seem to have omitted the garlic. The main courses were tasteless, unless you count the taste of salt, the addition of parmesan at least elevated the flavour to that of salty cheese!

We did bump into the crew of Young Adam, the exhibition Dutch Barge who’d travelled down to the boat show in our convoy. We were pleased to hear that they’d had a busy show and had lots of interest in the barge. They’d also manage to order a palatable meal at the Italian restaurant though they’d apparently bombed at the adjacent chinese with their order of shredded jellyfish!

We were a bit out of sorts as we strolled back to the boat but we were relieved to get back on board just as the storm of the winter rolled over us. We offered Blue and Lou a walk but they peered out of the hatch and went straight back to their beds! No wonder, as the night wore on the winds increased to what must have been the forecast 38mph and we were in for a rough ride. The boat pitched and tossed in the wind, heeling over to bang against the dock wall then swinging back to allow the waves to thrash alarmingly around us. We were well tied and secure but it was still scary.

Blue cuddling up to Lou for comfort in the storm

Blue cuddling up to Lou for comfort in the storm

I think it’s the noise that bothered me most – apart from the general buffeting, the  sound of the water flowing so ferociously around us was akin to the sensation you get when you put your head under the water in the bath then let the taps run. When the wind finally abated at around midnight, it was replaced by absolutely torrential rain. I was left awake and wondering gloomily which would be wetter – abandoning ship and standing on the shore or just going down to the bottom with the boat!

This is where the mettle of the crew was tested. Me and Blue fretted and paced and jumped every time the boat moved in the roaring wind. Richard and Lou slept through the whole lot unconcernedly.

The storm abated in the wee small hours and I finally got some sleep, having resolved that if the forecast for Monday was anything like this then NO WAY would we be venturing on to the river.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.